The Grade 1 listed Escomb Saxon Church is the oldest complete Saxon church in the UK
Founded in c.670-675, much of the stone came from the nearby Roman Fort at Binchester. On the south wall is a 7th or early 8th Century sundial, and on the north wall is a reused Roman stone with the markings “LEG VI” (Sixth Legion) set upside down. The church was restored in 1875-1880 by RJ Johnson, and in 1965 by Sir Albert Richardson.
During 2012 we will be making available a number of interesting articles and historical documents relating to the church on this website. We will be adding to the links below over the coming months: